APH Career Opportunity: Braille Proofreader
The Braille Proofreader will work closely with a Copyholder to assure accurate Braille/text content in any given book / accessible test / product. This includes reading aloud while the Copyholder follows/holds copy (and vice versa). Upon completion of the 45 day probation period, this employee will become a member of the Teamsters Union.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Verifies proof embossed copy of Braille transcription to detect all grammatical, typographical, and compositional errors
- Communicates all errors / content concerns to Copyholder to assure quality of product
- Assists Copyholder in creating and organizing error sheets as needed
- Alerts Pre-Production & Production leadership team when there are Braille dot errors/concerns on hard copy embossed proofs
- Consults reference materials independently and with Copyholder regarding rules of grammar/content, mathematical equations, scientific formulas, etc. (based on content of product)
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and via e-mail
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
Education, Training, and Experience Required
Must have good command of English and spelling, along with a thorough working knowledge of Braille. Must have basic computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Suite is preferred. Certification by the National Library Service as a Braille Proofreader preferred, along with certification by the National Library Service as a Literary Transcriber preferred. Minimum of two (2) years Braille proofreading experience.
Must take a grammar and spelling test. Must be able to obtain both Literary & Proofreading NLS certifications (or updated UEB certifications based on APH’s standards; i.e. Australian UEB) within 18 months of date of hire. Must be able to follow detailed instructions. Sitting, grasping, speaking, hearing required. Must have the ability to work occasional overtime.
Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday (with every other Friday off)
APH is a DRUG FREE WORKPLACE. An offer of employment is conditioned upon successfully passing a drug screening test and background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, place of birth, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status.EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer.
Posted: January 12, 2017