Typhlo & Tactus Tactile Book Contest 2013
Contest is now closed — thank you to all those who entered! Winners in the United States competition will be announced in September. The winning books will be forwarded to the international panel for final judging in November.
U.S. entries invited in international tactile book competition!
Typhlo & Tactus (T&T) is an organization dedicated to improving the quality and quantity of books with tactile illustrations available to young children with visual impairments in member countries. T&T conducts an exciting biennial international tactile book competition. The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is the U.S. national contact organization, publicizing the competition, directing participants to competition guidelines, and accepting and judging U.S. entries.
A panel of U.S. judges will review each entry sent to APH and select the top 5 tactile books to send overseas for final adjudication by an international panel of children and adults with visual impairments, as well as professionals in the field of vision. A single winning entry will be chosen, along with ten shortlisted books. Selected books may be featured at the T&T website, appear in posters, or in promotional materials used by T&T.
If you reside in the U.S. or its outlying areas (American Samoa, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands) this is your chance to send APH your tactile book, designed for children with visual impairments from birth to 12 years of age!
Contest is now closed: Entries must have been received at APH by July 15, 2013
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed U.S. entry form (.doc).
- Please include a self-addressed envelope with your entry so that we can return your book to you after the competition has ended. All entries will be returned "free matter for the blind" unless you stamp the envelope and prepay postage for another form of delivery.
- Mail your entry to:
Attn: Roberta Williams, T&T Book Competition
American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville, KY 40206-3152
As an additional source of information regarding tactile books and the variety of techniques used to create them, you may download "Guide to Designing Tactile Illustrations for Children’s Books" from the APH website.
Requirements to Enter Typhlo & Tactus
Entries may be based on an original story or may be an adaptation of a commercially-published children’s story. They may utilize a number of different types of tactile illustration, including cut and paste, thermoform, embossing, or sewn fabric. All books, however, must meet these main requirements:
- Be in a legible font (at least 16pt) AND in contracted or uncontracted braille.
- Use colors and contrasts that will stimulate children with low vision.
- Have a binding that allows the pages to open out flat.
- Have an engaging well-written text that can be translated into other languages. (Alphabet books, for example, are not suitable for translation).
- Have illustrations that could, if desired, be produced in quantity so that additional copies of the book can be made.
- Be safe for young children to use and not contain anything which could present a danger to a young child.
Note: Text books should not be entered in this competition.
Visit the T&T website for further information about entry requirements and to view past T&T winners!
Questions? Email: Roberta Williams, email@example.com
Now get those creative wheels turning! We want to see what you think makes a winning and appropriate tactile book for children birth to 12 years with visual impairments!