Come visit us for memorable learning adventures! Explore the museum through a factory tour and workshops designed especially for home schooled children ages five to fourteen.
Factory and Museum Tours for Home Schools
On their tour of APH, young people can see the production of braille publications, the recording of Talking Books, a demonstration of educational materials designed for people with visual impairments, and experience the exhibits and interactive displays in the Museum.
Each tour is tailored to suit the time each group has available, the age level of the participants, their educational interests, and any special needs.
For younger groups we recommend a one-hour visit. Allow an hour and a half or longer for older students.
Museum Workshops for Home Schools
- The Museum’s hands-on interactive exhibits focus on the story of education for the blind and are designed to spark enthusiasm for learning, admiration for industry and invention, and recognition that all people can learn at high levels. Artifacts, photographs, and electronic displays show early efforts to educate the blind, the development of braille, the history of "talking books" for the blind, and adaptations and accommodations for teaching all subjects for people who are blind or visually impaired.
- Museum workshops available for home schooled students explore a specific topic relating to the education of the blind. All workshops involve hands-on experiential learning and can be customized to meet individual needs.
- Younger siblings and parents are welcome.
Pre-Visit Materials for Home Schools
After you register, we will send you a packet of information and suggested activities to prepare students for their visit. You can also view the information online by visiting these links:
- Tour Tips
- Background Information
- Knowledge Quest
- Facts About Dog Guides
- Meeting Someone Who is Blind
- The Basics of Braille/Braille Activities
- Vocabulary List
Follow the links below for booklists related to blindness. (These are PDFs in a different file.)
You may also wish to borrow one of our Loan Kits before or after your visit.