REVISED! Refreshabraille 18, Version 3
Refreshabraille 18™ is a unique handheld refreshable braille display and braille keyboard for desktop computers and mobile devices that has now been made even better. From a more ergonomic design to improved Bluetooth® security and simplicity, this revision of the Refreshabraille 18 has been crafted by customer input to be the best on-the-go braille display. From being able to customize the display by flipping the braille and all of the input keys to being able to reverse just the advance bars so that the left bar advances and the right goes back, this display has been designed so that YOUR preferences decide its function!
Supports common screen readers like Window-Eyes®, NVDA, System Access, and JAWS® for the PC; VoiceOver for the Mac®, iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch; and Talks® and BrailleBack for smartphones and tablets. It combines an elegant design, reliability, and ease-of-use with a rugged metal case.
Use Refreshabraille 18 to Access Other Equipment
The Refreshabraille 18, like a computer’s monitor and keyboard, is a device designed to be used with other equipment. It provides the screen and keyboard for the primary device. Whether that device is a cell phone, PC, or tablet, every effort has been made to make the process simple, reliable, and trouble-free. Be aware, however that the device you plan to use must have software running on it that has the ability to communicate with a braille display. These include screen reader programs such as JAWS, VoiceOver, Window-Eyes, NVDA, and BrailleBack.
- 18 eight-dot braille cells
- 18 cursor routing keys
- Eight-dot braille keyboard input
- Forward and back scroll buttons
- Five-position directional pad
- Auxiliary space bar
- USB connectivity
- Two kinds of Bluetooth pairing, simple or secure
- Protected USB charging port
- Long battery life
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (not user-replaceable)
- Customizable: flip the braille display so the braille is closer to you or flip the scroll bars so you can read with the right hand and advance with the left hand or both
Updates to Refreshabraille 18, Version 3
- Choose secure or simple Bluetooth pairing. Simple pairing lets the Refreshabraille automatically pair with any device you initiate pairing on while secure requires that a code be confirmed on both devices before pairing can take place
- Reverse the advance bars. Reversing the advance bars lets you advance with your left hand while reading with your right hand
- More ergonomic ridged space bar
- Now uses industry standard micro USB which is easier to plug in and also to replace if lost
- New PC software means that updating and using the Refreshabraille 18 via USB has never been easier
Compared to Orbit Reader 20
- Refreshabraille 18 measures approximately 5.1W x 3.5D x 1H inches.
- Orbit Reader 20 measures approximately 6.6W x 4.4D x 1.4H inches
- Refreshabraille 18 weighs approximately 11 oz.
- Orbit Reader 20 weighs approximately 16 oz.
Learn more about the Orbit Reader 20.