Typhlo & Tactus Tactile Book Contest 2015
International Tactile Book Competition!
Typhlo & Tactus is an organization dedicated to improving the quality and quantity of books with tactile illustrations available to young children with visual impairments in member countries. Begun in Europe, T&T conducts an exciting biennial international tactile book competition. The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is the U.S. national contact organization, accepting and judging U.S. entries.
A panel of U.S. judges will review entries sent to APH and select the top 5 tactile books for final adjudication by an international panel of children and adults with visual impairments, as well as professionals in the field of vision. A single winning entry will be chosen, along with ten shortlisted books. Selected books may be featured at the T&T website, appear in posters, or in promotional materials used by T&T.
If you reside in the U.S. or U.S. outlying areas, this is your chance to enter! Send APH your tactile book, designed for children with visual impairments from 3–12 years of age.
Entries must be received at APH by Friday, September 4, 2015
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed U.S. entry form (.doc).
- Please include a self-addressed envelope. Your entry will be returned to you"free matter for the blind" unless you stamp the envelope and prepay postage for another form of delivery.
- Mail your entry to:
Attn: Roberta Williams, T&T Book Competition
American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville, KY 40206-3152
For more information regarding tactile book design, download the free "Guide to Designing Tactile Illustrations for Children’s Books" from the APH website.
Requirements to Enter Typhlo & Tactus
Tactile book entries may be based on an original story or may be an adaptation of a commercially-published children's story. They should have been used successfully with children with visual impairments. Books may utilize different types of tactile illustration techniques, such as cut and paste, thermoform, embossing, or sewn fabric.
All books must meet these main requirements:
- Be in a legible font (at least 16pt) AND in contracted or uncontracted braille.
- Use colors and contrasts that will interest children with low vision.
- Be no larger than 11.75 x 8.25 inches.
- Have a binding that allows the pages to open out flat.
- Have an engaging, well-written text that can be translated into other languages (alphabet books, for example, are not suitable for translation).
- Have illustrations that could, if desired, be produced in quantity so that additional copies of the book can be made.
- Be safe for young children to use.
- Textbooks and Topic Books should not be entered in this competition.
Visit the T&T website for further information about entry requirements and to view past T&T winners!
Questions? Email: Roberta Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter Soon! We want to see what you think makes a winning and appropriate tactile book for children 3–12 years with visual impairments!