Building on Patterns is a complete primary literacy program designed to teach beginning braille users all language arts — reading, writing, and spelling.
Building on Patterns Second Grade includes more worksheets, part-word braille contractions, and other remaining literary contractions and symbols along with the rules to use them. The curriculum also emphasizes syllables and multisyllabic words, and the effect of certain letter combinations on vowel sounds. For optional map work, each lesson in Units 1–6 gives the foreign origin of at least one spelling word.
Recommended ages: 7 to 8 years and up.
Prerequisite: BOP First Grade or equivalent skills.
- Community Helpers
- Family and Friends
- Sports, Recreation and Leisure
- Science: Weather, Plants, Seasons
- Science: Animals, Insects and Environment
- Timed reading in each lesson
- More independent reading suggestions
- Quick Read for silent reading and reading comprehension practice
- Simplified lesson monitoring sheets
- Special section with information on individual contributors (authors, illustrators, etc.) to BOP in each unit
Each student kit includes Lesson Monitoring Sheets, Consumable Unit Assessment Packet, Student Textbook, and Worksheets Pack.
Download examples of activities found inside Building on Patterns:
There’s a nice variety of fun & skill building reading, writing, and language activities. The tactile graphics are helpful in preparing my students to take our state assessments.