APH Career Opportunity: Director of Customer Experience
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH), a world leader in creating learning solutions and pathways to success for children and adults who are blind or visually impaired, is seeking a Director of Customer Experience who will be committed to assuring that we are providing our customers with the materials, products, and services they need for independence, education, and life. This is a leadership role with an opportunity to directly oversee and optimize our customer experience as we expand into new markets in the US and internationally.
The successful candidate will report to the Vice-President of Marketing and Sales and will manage an information and referral service; coordinate incoming communication channels including web, email, and phone tree; and maintain various technology platforms supporting order entry, customer relations management, and e-commerce. We are looking for a person with an entrepreneurial spirit who aggressively recommends change, brings process innovation, and possesses a strong sense of ownership. This position works a typical M-F dayshift schedule and is located in Louisville. Our work environment is welcoming and compassionate and we pride ourselves on our competitive benefits offerings, including free onsite parking, tuition reimbursement, and career development opportunities..
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a department strategy that leads to policies and procedures for operations. Map out the customer journey and identify customer touch points as part of process definition. Develop processes for recording customer interactions, protecting customer privacy, and securing customer data.
- Share lessons learned with the organization to improve products, services, and communications.
- Serve as a liaison between departments when product quality or other issues are raised by customers and act as the point “problem solver” for complicated customer issues that involve multiple departments.
- Select and implement an accessible Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to identify customer trends and issues, provide enhancements and efficiencies to current procedures, improve the customer experience, and promote additional sales opportunities. Move paper record keeping system into digital CRM process.
- Work with the APH Computer Technology department on the maintenance and management of APH’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) database Syspro, and APH’s e-commerce solution (Woo Commerce), including training, testing, order entry, maintenance of customer master, reporting, month-end reports, year-end processing and database clean-up.
- Plan and execute a customer experience coaching and training strategy within the department and across the organization.
- Work with the sales and marketing teams to create customer interactions that maximize sales, promote the APH brand of inclusivity and accessibility, and educate customers about our products, services, and the values of education equity.
- Manage a team of 5–10 direct reports made up of support reps and experienced technical support specialists. Carry out various department administrative responsibilities, including budgeting and timekeeping. Assure that staff are meeting defined objectives and professional development goals.
- Advocate for the highest accessibility standards in all communications from APH internally and externally.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, technology, or related field.
- Three to five years of supervisory experience in customer support position.
- Demonstrated experience with and an understanding of the selection and implementation of technology solutions in a call center/ sales environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with e-commerce technology platforms (WooCommerce); Customer Relations Management (CRM) platforms (Salesforce); and Microsoft Office.
- An entrepreneurial background for building successful systems and teams for new efforts and enterprises.
- Preferred education and experience: Experience with blindness, visual impairment, disabilities, or nonprofits; Bilingual skills.
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is a DRUG FREE WORKPLACE. An offer of employment is conditioned upon successfully passing a drug screening test and background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, place of birth, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer.