APH Career Opportunity: Manufacturing Engineering Technician
Under general supervision of the Materials and Logistics Manager, this position shall write product bills-of-materials (BOM) and production routing in the entreprise resource planing (ERP) system for a variety of make-to-stock, make-to-order and custom-order items, and make necessary changes in those products and/or routings, as situations demand.
Manage revisions using the Engineering Change Requests and Notices (ECR & ECN) to insure products structure integrity and availability for planning and scheduling. Manage priorities, revise schedules and issue change plans as needed.
BOM’s and routings are the backbone of the management system and the standard for product manufacturing. 98%+ of the product structures and routings must be 100% accurate as any mistakes can result in material shortages or products being produced wrongly. They also need to be done in a timely manner to insure their availability for production.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Investigate new product requirements in order to determine the complete Bill of Material (BOM) and routing required in order to insure accurate labor and material planning for production.
- Add part numbers and work centers according to the established procedure.
- Participate in production and pre-production meetings regarding new product development and implementing changes to the BOM’s and routings as required.
- Correct and update BOMs and routings revised via Engineering Change Notice ECR/ECN procedure. Store these ECR/ECN’s in a file for future reference.
- Manage the engineering changes (ECR and ECN) system.
- Update/correct prodution bills and routings for product integrity and accuracy.
- Run and analyze Syspro structure validation and Lead Time updates.
- Determine the most practical/cost-efficient procedure to produce and package a new product, either APH’s or custom ordered.
- Maintain part masters, manufacturing work centers, machines and cycle times in the system.
- Routinely, decide on the best product structuring and routing procedure for new or revised products for most efficient workflow of transactions and materials.
- Working with purchasing, planning and warehouse staff, decide the best packaging and storage options by commonizing materials and calculating batch sizes, dunnage, etc.
- Diplomatically and effectively, interface with other departments to resolve product structures and routing problems.
- Utilize lean manufacturing concepts to reduce waste and improve productivity through process improvements.
- Partner closely with sourcing, engineering, R&D, manufacturing, receiving, and scheduling on projects as needed.
- Work with team members to maintain workload balances in the department.
- Foster and maintain a positive business relationship with internal customers.
- Participate in team activities for implementing lean practices.
- Serve on ERP improvement teams.
- Serve as backup in the materials group.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements
- Associate degree in manufacturing, engineering or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Possess technical skills and must have experience writing bills of materials (BOM) and manufacturing processes (Routings).
- Understanding of MRP, inventory and manufacturing methods.
- Skilled in providing solutions to complex challenges utilizing 8D problem solving or other techniques.
- Excellent skills in organizing, prioritizing, communication and technical writing.
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of Syspro, SAP, Oracle or similar ERP is preferred.
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is a DRUG FREE WORKPLACE. An offer of employment is conditioned upon successfully passing a drug screening test and background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, place of birth, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status.EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer.