- Increases awareness of your exact position and keeps you updated with movement
- Improves spatial awareness by announcing the distance and direction of upcoming streets
- Improves knowledge of your surroundings by showing the distance, direction, name, and address of the nearest place
- Increases flexibility by discovering surrounding streets via device compass
- Improves orientation to POIs through haptic and auditory feedback
- Treats transit stops as a POI with additional, interactive information and provides a complete schedule
- Search for places, streets, and addresses
- Explore the map by intersections
- Shows the direction you are heading ("North," "Southeast," etc.) and your speed
- Tracks a selected place and provides the distance and direction to get thereNearby Explorer requires an Android or iOS device with the following:Android 4.1 or later; iOS 9 or later
- GPS receiver on phone or tablet
- 4 GB of available memory for locally stored maps
Nearby Explorer (full version)
Offered as an iOS® and Android™ app, Nearby Explorer ™ empowers visually impaired users to explore with confidence.
Product SKU: D-30022-APL
Nearby Explorer™ is a powerful location exploration app that uses online maps, including complete maps of the United States and Canada, covering millions of points of interest (POIs). It displays maps on the screen that provide audio feedback with touch. Maps are displayed on the screen and provide audio feedback with touch.
Use Nearby Explorer™ to add and share your own POIs. Through the use of a mobile network connection, the app enhances its online data with Google Places™ business listings and Foursquare® (iOS only), and continually updates distance and direction to the nearest point, or to a selected point. All announcements are optional, so you control how much information Nearby Explorer™ is giving you.
The iOS® version of this app also contains Indoor Explorer, which allows the user to navigate supported indoor venues.
GeoBeam Feature: The GeoBeam feature of Nearby Explorer™ acts as a virtual “beam” emitting from the end of your device and “scans” your environment. Since your device knows your current location and the location of POIs around you, you can point it toward features in your environment and receive feedback about them. This feature requires a device with a compass.
Nearby Explorer™ should not be used as a substitute for your preferred O&M method, and should be used along with a sighted guide, dog guide, or cane.
Available in four versions:
• Purchase on the Google Play™ store . Downloads all mapping data and does NOT require a network connection.
• Purchase on the App® Store. Downloads all mapping data and does NOT require a network connection.
• Free on Google Play™. This “lite” version of the purchased app DOES require a network connection and uses GPS along with your device’s compass to speak real-time information about your surroundings.
• Free on the App® Store. This “lite” version of the purchased app DOES require a network connection and uses GPS along with your device’s compass to speak real-time information about your surroundings.
Software: Orientation and Mobility
Federal Quota Funds: Available
Optional and Replacement Items
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm EST