Contractual Transcribers Needed
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH), located in Louisville, Kentucky, is the largest producer of accessible materials. Founded in 1858, it is the oldest organization of its kind in the United States.
APH is seeking National Library Service (NLS) certified braille transcribers to work on a per-project contract basis. The Accessible Textbook Department (ATIC) has challenging work that may be just right for you!
The APH Accessible Textbook Department (ATIC)
The strategic vision of the Accessible Textbook Department, the textbook division of APH, is to effectively respond to the textbook needs of blind and visually impaired students by delivering custom-produced accessible textbooks in a timely manner. In addition to traditional “hard copy” textbooks, APH provides textbooks through on-demand braille transcription or large print, as well as in electronic media that can be downloaded from a file repository on our website.
Requirements for Transcribers
APH is seeking experienced transcribers, proof-readers and tactile graphic designers to help produce high-quality textbooks.
Because our transcription needs must meet high standards, we evaluate each transcriber’s abilities in order to assign projects best suited to the transcriber’s strengths.
All transcribers are required to have the following qualifications:
- NLS certification in at least one of the following codes: Literary, Nemeth, Proofreading, or Music.
- At least three years experience in textbook transcription.
- Working knowledge of Braille Formats Principles of Print to Braille Transcription, 1997.
- Special consideration will be given to those who have passed the NBA Formats Course.
We recommend all transcribers take the NBA Braille Formats Course.
To Apply for Contracts
If you are interested in working with the Accessible Textbook Department to provide quality textbooks, please submit the following:
- A cover letter detailing your transcription experience, including at least two references and their contact information.
- A sample of your work (textbook material preferred) in either hard copy braille or electronic (brf file) format. (Approximately 20-30 pages.)
- A sample of tactile graphics (if you make graphics).
- A print copy to match the above samples.
- A photocopy of your NLS certification(s).
Please send your sample textbook materials to:
American Printing House for the Blind
ATTN: ATIC Director
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville, KY 40206
For more information about APH, our products or services please visit www.aph.org.