Nearby Explorer™ is a powerful location exploration app for use on Android™ and iOS devices. A full featured GPS app that empowers users to independently explore with confidence!
Nearby Explorer uses GPS and your phone’s compass to speak real-time information about your surroundings. Includes millions of points of interest (POIs) in the U.S. and Canada. When used with a built-in compass, the app also provides feedback about features in your environment.
Available in four versions
- Nearby Explorer: Purchased App for Android or iOS: purchase on the Google Play™ store or on the App Store® online store; downloads all mapping data and does NOT require a network connection.
- Nearby Explorer Online: Free App for Android or iOS: free-of-charge on Google Play or the App Store; mapping data is stored on the web, so the free version DOES require a network connection. This is a “lite” version of the Purchased App.
Requirements to Run Purchased App
Nearby Explorer requires an Android or iOS device with the following:
- Android 4.1 or later; iOS 9 or later
- GPS receiver on phone/tablet
- 4GB of available memory for locally stored maps
WARNING: Nearby Explorer should be used along with a human guide, dog guide, and/or cane because it does not provide sufficient information to act as a substitute for your preferred O&M method.
Use Nearby Explorer to add and share your own POIs. In addition to spoken information, it also displays maps on the screen that provide audio feedback with touch. The program enhances its onboard data with Google Places™ business listings and Foursquare® (iOS only), if you have a mobile network connection.
Ordering Nearby Explorer
Quota Purchase (see below for instructions):
Nearby Explorer app, for Android devices, from the APH File Repository: D-20000-AN…..$79.99
Nearby Explorer app, for iOS devices, faxed Quota order: D-30022-APL…..$79.99
Free App: Nearby Explorer Online
The online version of Nearby Explorer is available to download for free on the Google Play store. It contains no onboard map data, so there are no licensing fees to pay, therefore, it is free to you! While Nearby Explorer Online is potentially very useful as a tool everywhere, the online version does require a device with a network connection to use.
Note: Nearby Explorer Online is a “lite” version of the Purchased App. It does not give directions, offer a map view, offer compass mode, or explore nearby intersections.
How to Purchase Nearby Explorer With Quota Funds
Nearby Explorer for iOS Devices
- Ordering: Ex Officio Trustees can submit a signed Quota order for one or more licenses to APH by fax or mail. Please provide a contact person’s email address or phone number on your order. Note: At this time, APH mobile apps cannot be ordered online using Quota funds.
- Receiving: APH will email an Apple Content Code for each license that you order. You will also
receive a hard copy confirmation of each code printed on the invoice that APH mails to you.
- Distribution: EOTs are responsible for distributing Apple Content Codes to those teachers or
others in their states who have ordered Nearby Explorer on Quota.
- How to Install: The end user will install Nearby Explorer with their Apple Content Code by: using his or her iOS device > open App Store > select the “Featured” tab > scroll to the bottom of the Featured screen > select “Redeem” > enter the password for the device > follow instructions on Redeem screen.
Nearby Explorer for Android Devices
All Quota purchases must be made via the APH File Repository; the Google Play site cannot be used for Quota purchases.
IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license. Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android, Google Places, Google Play, and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.; OpenStreetMap is a trademark of the OpenStreetMap Foundation, and is used with their permission. Nearby and Indoor Explorer are not endorsed by or affiliated with the OpenStreetMap Foundation.