Building an Early Tactile Foundation for Graphics Understanding
October 24, 2023, 3:00pm - 4:30pm EST
This webinar is part 1 of Tactile Graphics Literacy for Students with Visual Impairments: 4 Part Series. Join this webinar to discover how instruction in concept and tactile skills contributes to the development of braille and graphics literacy skills for students with visual impairments.
- Leanne Grillot; Senior Director of Outreach Services, APH
- Alicia Wolfe; Outreach Specialist; Southeast Region, APH
Primary Core or ECC AreaCompensatory Access
Target AudienceTeachers of Students with Visual Impairments, Early intervention teacher, Orientation and Mobility Specialist, Paraprofessional, Parent, Vision Rehabilitation Specialist/Therapist/Teacher
- Participants will be able to define braille literacy, tactile literacy, and tactile graphics literacy for students with visual impairments.
- Participants will understand the application and foundational relationship between building tactile literacy skills and developing braille readiness.
- Given background knowledge emphasizing the importance of building tactile literacy and tactile graphics literacy, participants will apply learned knowledge and connect it to teaching methods and concept development.