Enjoy jamming to your favorite music or listening to your favorite audio-book on the easy-to-load, switch-activated Joy Player.
150 in stock
Catalog Number: 1-07089-00
Joy Player accommodates those who are developing fine motor skills, have limited mobility, or a cognitive disability, in addition to a visual impairment.
Designed to be used with the personal music player routine in APH’s Sensory Learning Kit (SLK), the Joy Player allows individuals to access music and audio books by playing WAV or MP3 files that are copied onto SD cards, USB flash drives, and Digital Talking Book (DTB) cartridges. (The player does not play pre-recorded books on DTB Cartridges from the National Library Service (NLS) because NLS uses 3GS files, not WAV or MP3 files.)
A chute helps players guide the cartridge into the Joy Player. Twist-on caps (with accompanying rings) reduces the number of button switches on the device. There are five button switches that operate – from left to right – the following tasks: decrease volume, back to the previous song (reverse), play/pause, advance to the next song (fast-forward), increase volume.
The back of player has jacks to accept external switches. Five switches can be added to provide the function of each button switch. External switches operate whether the player is using AC or DC. The SLK Power Select occurs when the main power switch on the back of the player is set in the SLK mode position. In this mode, and when using a sip and puff switch, the user can play and pause the audio; he/she will be unable to control song choice or volume.
Additional Information / Troubleshooting:
• All shipments will incur UPS shipping rates based on the destination.
• Songs/Files must be MP3 or WAV files. MP4 or 3GS (NLS) songs/files may be converted to MP3 or WAV.
• When the Volume Down button switch is pressed to the limit, the player is completely silent.
• If using a flash drive or SD card, the cartridge overrides a flash drive or an SD card. Make sure any cartridge inserted into the chute is not blank.
• When selecting a group of music files to place on a cartridge, do not select a file that is not a WAV or MP3 file. If this happens, connect the cartridge back to your computer and remove the alien file.
• If you experience problems with a cartridge, connect the cartridge to the computer using the USB cable, reformat the cartridge, and reload your music:
o PC—Go to My PC and right click on the cartridge icon and select “Format.” The default should be FAT32. If it is not FAT32, change and click “Start.” If it is already FAT32, click “Start.” This will wipe the cartridge clean. Now, reload music to the cartridge.
o Mac—Launch Disk Utility, located in Applications > Utilities. Find the drive name from the left hand side of Disk Utility and click on it. Mac default is FAT32. Click on the “Erase” tab across the top.
o Do not remove the rechargeable batteries that come in The Joy Player. Alkaline batteries will work, but they are not rechargeable. If you received the player from an outside source, check to see if the correct batteries are in the device. The player ships with batteries that are white with the APH logo on them. Batteries are not replaceable.
*If you need to send your Joy Player back to APH for service, send everything back: The Joy Player, cartridges, and USB cable. APH is unable to assess a problem without all components. Please include a note with contact information and an explanation of the problem.
If the unit is not under warranty, APH charges a $50.00 handling/evaluation fee to be paid fee prior to unit examination. If the repair exceeds the fee, APH will contact the customer for approval before proceeding with repairs. Send to: American Printing House for the Blind, Attn: Repair Department, 1839 Frankfort Avenue, Louisville, KY, 40206.
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGE: All shipments will incur UPS shipping rates based on the destination.
- Ages 3 and Up
- Multiple modes of operation
- Operates with AC (plugs into the wall outlet) and DC (batteries
- Measures 13 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 2 inches
- Guidebook available as a free download at http://www.aph.org/manuals/index.html. Click additional information for trouble-shooting tips.
- 65-inch hook and loop strap
- Belt loop feet
- Cartridge chute
- Bag of black caps and rings
- USB Cable
- 2 DTB Cartridges
- 6 rechargeable AA metal hydride batteries
- Braille note on downloadable instructions
- Large print instruction book
Weight: 3.36 lbs
Dimensions: 14.95 × 8.7 × 3.1 in
Devices: Talking and Audible Products
Federal Quota Funds: Available
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm EST