The Art and Science of Teaching Orientation and Mobility to Persons with Visual Impairments
The second edition of The Art and Science of Teaching Orientation and details orientation and mobility techniques and explains how to provide effective instruction in one complete manual for the beginning O&M instructor that is a reference for the experienced practitioner as well.
This item is made to order and is non-refundable.
Catalog Number: F-B0001-00
Publishers: APH Press
Authors: William Henry Jacobson
Provides step-by-step presentation of each O&M technique and describes in detail how to individualize and teach each one.
Outlines the scope and sequence of a complete O&M curriculum, and offers a guiding philosophy as well as principles and strategies for effective teaching. Includes a new chapter on assessment with essential assessment checklists for children and adults.-Provides more extensive content on today’s O&M instructional issues, such as street crossings and the current, more challenging traffic environment.
To view the Table of Contents, please see the “Includes” section.
This item is made to order, therefore all sales are final.
Unit 1: Guidelines for Instruction
Chapter 1: The Teaching of Orientation and Mobility
Chapter 2: Assessment: O&M Skills and Concepts
Unit 2: Essential Indoor O&M Skills
Chapter 3: Basic Techniques for Guiding a Person with a Visual Impairment
Chapter 4: Self-Protection Techniques: Moving through the Environment Independently
Chapter 5: Basic Long Cane and Self-Familiarization Skills
Chapter 6: Advanced Indoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
Unit 3: Outdoor Skills and Refinements
Chapter 7: Basic Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
Chapter 8: Intermediate Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
Chapter 9: Advanced Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
Unit 4: Additional Considerations for the Specialist
Chapter 10: Special Situations and Conditions and Mobility Devices
Chapter 11: Creative Approaches to Teaching Orientation and Mobility
Chapter 12: Professional Issues
Appendix A: Resources
Appendix B: Additional Readings
How I Came to This Profession and What It Has Meant to Me
About the Author
Federal Quota Funds: Not Available
Publishers: APH Press
Authors/Editors: William Henry Jacobson
Publication Date: 2012
- Table of Contents:
- Guidelines for Instruction
- Teaching Orientation and Mobility
- Assessment: O&M Skills and Concepts
- Essential Indoor O&M Skills
- Basic Techniques for Guiding a Person with a Visual Impairment
- Self-Protection Techniques: Moving Through the Environment Independently
- Basic Long Cane and Self-Familiarization Skills
- Advanced Indoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
- Outdoor Skills and Refinements
- Basic Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
- Intermediate Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
- Advanced Outdoor Orientation and Mobility Skills
- Additional Considerations for the Instructor
- Special Situations and Conditions and Mobility Devices
- Creative Approaches
- Professional Issues
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–8:00pm EST
Contact Customer Service to discuss your warranty options.