A Parents’ Guide to Special Education for Children with Visual Impairments
A Parents’ Guide to Special Education for Children with Visual Impairments (PAIVI), written by Deborah Chen, Gail Calvello, and Clare Taylor Friedman, is an updated version of the original Parents and Visually Impaired Infants publication.
This item is made to order and is non-refundable.
This set of materials is designed to help parents and teachers of infants who are visually impaired become involved as primary members of the intervention team.
The original materials (PAVII) were created as a part of a 3-year project of the Blind Babies Foundation with support from the U.S. Department of Education.
PAIVI materials are available as a complete kit or as a set of parent booklets only.
To view the Table of Contents, please see the “Includes” section.
Please note, that our publisher is experiencing delays of approximately 5 weeks in the fulfillment of print books. You can purchase a digital download of this publication by contacting our Customer Service team between the hours of 8:00 am to 8:00 pm EST by calling 1-800-223-1839.
- Parent Assessment of Needs (PAN): An ecological inventory that helps parents to identify and prioritize home-based goals and objectives for their infants, which may be identified as outcomes on the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)
- Parent Observation Protocol (POP): This section encourages parent observation of self and child through video and identifies teaching strategies to facilitate early learning experiences.
- PAIVI Assessment Guides: When appropriate, very young children may be assessed on their functional use of vision, hearing, communication, and on their interaction with objects using PAIVI screening checklists.
- The Art of Home Visiting: A resource for teachers certified in visual impairments, early childhood special educators, public health nurses, and others who work with families in their homes.
- CD-ROM contains a BRF in Unified English Braille (UEB) and an HTML file of the manual and PDF files of the assessment forms.PAIVI Parent Booklet Set (included in kit, also available separately):
- Learning Together: A Parent Guide to Socially Based Routines for Very Young Children with Visual Impairments: This booklet offers strategies for parents to embed learning opportunities within everyday activities such as mealtime, bathtime, bedtime, playtime, storytime, and going out.
- Getting Ready for Preschool: A Parent Guide to Transition: This booklet discusses moving from early intervention to preschool services.
- CD-ROM contains a BRF in Unified English Braille (UEB) and an HTML file of each booklet.
Book Genre: Educational
Federal Quota Funds: Not Available
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm EST