On the Way to Literacy Handbook, 2nd Edition: Print
A companion to APH’s On the Way to Literacy print-tactile book series, this handbook guides teachers and parents in supporting a young child’s first steps towards literacy. Each edition includes a CD of accessible files.
Federal Quota Eligible
146 in stock
Catalog Number: 8-77520-00
Opportunities to develop early literacy skills are important for all children. Children who have not formed a foundation of skills before entering kindergarten are at risk for later reading difficulties. During a child’s earliest years, adults play a critical role, helping a child develop positive attitudes about literacy and build early literacy skills.
On the Way to Literacy contains extensive information on selecting and reading aloud from appropriate books and providing children opportunities to use the tools for writing in braille or print.The 2nd edition of the On the Way to Literacy handbook includes:
Information and research from the field of teaching children with visual impairments
Research regarding early literacy for typically sighted children
Recent findings of the National Early Literacy Panel
Although portions of the On the Way to Literacy handbook focus on the future braille reader, a great deal of the information is appropriate for a child who will read print.
Weight: 2.45 lbs
Dimensions: 8.5 × 11.05 × 1.35 in
Product Type: Reading and Writing
Federal Quota Funds: Available
- On the Way to Literacy uses everyday events to support a child's learning in key areas, including:
- Early communication and language -- the ability to communicate, speak and listen with understanding
- Concepts -- understandings, formed through experience, that give meaning to language the child learns
- Skills needed for learning through touch and for reading braille
- Knowledge about written language -- including awareness of the ways print and braille are used, knowledge of print and braille conventions, and the relationship of letters and letter-sounds
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–8:00pm EST
Contact Customer Service to discuss your warranty options.