Barraga Visual Efficiency Program
The Barraga Visual Efficiency Program (BVEP) evaluates the visual efficiency of, and provides available methods of instruction for, students with low vision who have ocular impairments and who have achieved cognitive developmental skills at or beyond the 3-year-old level.
Federal Quota Eligible
86 in stock
Catalog Number: 1-08531-00
Visual efficiency is the extent to which available vision is used in an effective way. The Barraga Visual Efficiency Program (BVEP) contains information and materials for teachers to evaluate the visual efficiency needs of their students. Through this evaluation, teachers can determine a baseline on where a student is on his/her ability to perceive shapes, size, color, orientation, visual closure, internal detail, matching, and naming missing objects. Instructional methods are included to help students improve in these areas and to maximize their available vision.
Note: Some of the instructional designs used in this program may also be appropriate for students who have cortical visual impairment if they are developmentally 3 years old or older and if appropriate accommodations are used. Teachers can also use the Barraga website to record their assessments and evaluations.
Teachers can also use the Barraga website to record their assessments and evaluations at https://barraga.aphtech.org/.
Here’s what our field testers had to say:
“I think it is helpful to have a resource like the BVEP that I can check to be sure I have considered all the needs of my students. Often times, TVIs have a very busy caseload and some things can be forgotten when you are rushing from school to school, meeting to meeting.”
“I have always valued Barraga products. I think this program is a comprehensive tool for Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments that can be used as a guide for assessment and instruction of visual efficiency skills, which is one component of the Expanded Core Curriculum.”
Weight: 14.7 lbs
Dimensions: 29.25 × 17.25 × 5 in
Federal Quota Funds: Available
- Information and instructional materials to evaluate the visual efficiency needs of students with low vision who have ocular impairments and who have achieved cognitive developmental skills at or beyond the 3-year-old level
- Aligns with the visual efficiency component of the Expanded Core Curriculum
- A spoon, book, toy boat, and hat that represent nutrition, literacy, play, and dressing oneself
- Items in red, blue, green, and yellow and in tri-colors to build visual complexity
- Items in different sizes to help students understand small, medium, and large
- An assessment that asks students to match color, shape, size, and orientation of these objects
- An evaluation that helps teachers determine a baseline on where a student is on his/her ability to perceive shapes, size, color, orientation, visual closure, internal detail, matching, and naming missing objects
- Instructional methods that help students improve in these areas and maximize their available vision
- Small yellow books, green boats, red spoons, and tri-color spoons and books
- Medium books, boats, spoons, and hats in red, green, blue, yellow, and tri-color
- Large yellow books, green boats, red spoons, and tri-color spoons and books
- Program book (Teacher Guide, Evaluation, and Instruction)
- Perceptual Skills Evaluation Book
- Presentation boards
- Patterned background insert
- Accessory items: object sample-array divider strips, part-whole cloth, visual memory cards
- Soft carry-all case
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–8:00pm EST
Contact Customer Service to discuss your warranty options.