Sensing and Learning
Enjoy this modernization of the Sensory Learning Kit (SLK) designed to help develop the curiosity of learners with disabilities. Sensing and Learning includes new research since the introduction of the SLK in 2005 and its predecessor the Sensory Stimulation Kit (SSK).
$24.95 – $34.95
Federal Quota Eligible
Catalog Number: 7-08614
Authors: Millie Smith, Stacey Chambers
Format: Print, EPUB
Sensing and Learning is a guidebook that has been modified from the Sensory and Learning Kit (SLK) that expands on the responses to questions and issues raised by several teachers of learners with visual impairments (TVIs).
The research-based strategies contained in this book provides TVIs with tools to conduct sensory efficiency and learning media assessments; address IEP areas such as instructional settings, accommodations, and goals; and provide highly effective instruction using a collaborative, consultation-service delivery model.
- Sensing and Learning is the name of this book, but it is also a program to increase sensory efficiency in activities designed to teach skills typically learned during the sensorimotor stage of cognitive development.
- In the Sensing and Learning methodology, a routine is an instructional activity designed to provide strategies that maximize learning efficiency at the sensorimotor stage of cognitive development.
- Learners benefit from assessments that identify their zone of proximal development and form learning sensorimotor skills through Attention, Exploration, and Function level routines.
- The strategies mentioned in the text highlight several APH products.
- Sensing and Learning book
“Millie Smith brings the importance of “quality of life” to the forefront and provides guidance to educators related to the provision of educational programs that meets this expectation. In this exciting new publication, she describes the importance of eliminating barriers to learning while capitalizing on learners’ interests to attract their attention and activate their brains to increase understanding and memory.”
“Sensing and Learning, provides access to learning to the most challenged learners. This updated guidebook incorporates current neurological research as well as additional tools and methodologies to meet the needs of this population. Smith’s descriptions of highly effective instructional strategies provide teachers with the means to increase active engagement for their students.”
“The updated and renamed guidebook will be a practical resource for faculty in teacher preparation programs in colleges and universities and for graduate and undergraduate teacher candidates in the field of blindness and visual impairment. In addition, the text will be valuable for new and experienced practitioners who are responsible for providing direct services in specialized or inclusive settings.”
“Jan Van Dijk championed the value of harmonious and responsive interaction. Lili Nielsen honed strategies for promoting social-emotional development through active learning techniques. Millie Smith succinctly teaches us to incorporate these interaction and strategies within highly structured sensorimotor routines.”
Federal Quota Funds: Available
Product Type: Multiple Disabilities
Authors/Editors: Millie Smith, Stacey Chambers
Format: Print, EPUB
Publication Date: 2023
Contact Customer Service to discuss your warranty options.