SAM – Symbols and Meaning Kit
Learn about people, objects, actions, and places so that you can understand the symbols related to these concepts.
53 in stock
The SAM guidebook provides strategies for developing a strong sensory foundation for concepts about people, objects, actions, and places so that symbols referring to them are meaningful.
People: The self and others
Objects: Tangible things
Actions: Body movements of the self and others
Places: Where things are, contexts for groups of things
Using SAM enables learners to understand:
• What is it?
• What does it do?
• How does it relate to other things?
The 18 SAM games are used to reinforce the meaning of symbols learned in natural environments and to expand the use of symbols to communication contexts, like books. In order to determine needs and plan instruction, SAM provides four assessments:
• Symbol and referent analysis: Common words
• Symbol and referent analysis: Academic vocabulary
• Environmental gap inventory: Missing concepts in common environments
• Curriculum-based gap inventory: Early academic skills and basic concepts
APH Intervention Continuum
APH recommends that learners use the following three products sequentially:
1. Sensory Learning Kit
2. SAM: Symbols and Meaning
3. Tactile Connections: Symbols for Communication
- This product contains small parts and is not intended for children ages 5 and under without adult supervision.
- 2 baskets
- Digital recorder
- 25 plastic story pages Assessments and Games book
- Electronic assessment forms
- Flash drive
- Guidebook, Large Print
- SAM videos
- Sport bag
- 3 sizes, Story bags
- 3 sizes, Story binders
- Vinyl story box liners
- 6 story boxes
- Non-glare plastic tray liner
- Vinyl tray liners
- 2 trays
- Black hook/loop material strip and coins
- White hook/loop material strip and coins
Weight: 4.965 lbs
Dimensions: 13.8 × 12 × 11.3 in
Development: Child, Concept
Federal Quota Funds: Available
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm EST