Flip-Over Concept Books: PARTS OF A WHOLE
51 in stock
The second of a planned series of print/tactile books, uniquely designed by the American Printing House for the Blind. These concept books provide interactive, independent learning for young children as they build basic concepts and develop early tactile skills. The format of PARTS OF A WHOLE (and future Flip-Over Concept Books) consists of tactile, full color panels that can be turned freely until the child finds adjacent panels that: match, continue a line or pattern, complete a sequence, build an image, and so on.
The goal in PARTS OF A WHOLE is for the child to find two adjacent panels that complete the whole picture as shown in the first (or left-hand) panel. Objects depicted in the book:
Introduce and practice these concepts and skills:
- Tactile and visual discrimination of various textures and shapes–sometimes with subtle differences
- Familiarization with basic geometry terms such as symmetry, straight, curved, half, whole, circle, oval, and star
- Global exploration (i.e., feeling an entire image in one tactile glance) versus systematic exploration (i.e., carefully examining the specific details of an image that help identify it)
- Understanding of tactile representation – that is, comparing the visual/tactile image to the real object (if available)
- Exposure to basic science terms – e.g., fish (tail fin, dorsal fin, pectoral fin), turtle (shell, head, tail, legs), leaf (stem, veins, blade, midrib), butterfly (forewings, hind wings, antennae), etc.
- Tactile/visual matching of similar shapes
- Flip-Over Concept Book: PARTS OF A WHOLE
- Reader’s Guide (separate print and braille versions)
Note: The book utilizes a special binding that opens and closes, allowing teachers and parents to:
- Randomize/shuffle the panels within each stack to prevent the child from memorizing the exact location of a panel.
- Minimize the number of images presented in the book, if needed, for a younger child.
Weight: 1 lbs
Federal Quota Funds: Available
Customer Service and Technical Support
Toll-Free: 800-223-1839 (U.S. and Canada)
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:00am–8:00pm EST
Contact Customer Service to discuss your warranty options.