Building Your Math Toolkit
Math plays a critical role in education. It strengthens students’ analytical thinking and reasoning skills, allowing them to effectively solve problems and look for solutions. That’s why we’ve put together this list of some of our most popular math products and resources from APH.
- Tactile Five and Ten Frames are graphic organizers that help young students visualize sets of five and ten, thus helping to develop subitizing skills – the ability to instantly see “how many.”
- Hundreds Board and Manipulatives, Nemeth and UEB can be used with elementary students to teach basic math concepts including patterning, counting, ordering numbers, comparing numbers, addition and subtraction, and base ten number system.
- The Number Line Device helps students comprehend abstract numerical concepts, including number sequence, counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, rounding, estimating whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- The Place Value Setter helps early elementary school students develop a firm understanding of place value by providing a way to represent numbers using written digits.
- The Cranmer Abacus and Large Abacus help students learn how to count and complete mathematical calculations.
- Available separately in Nemeth and UEB, Math Drill Cards teach elementary students about numbers and math signs and help them learn basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.
- Flip-Over Concept Book – Fractions, available in Nemeth and UEB, is an interactive print and braille book designed to teach elementary students about fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Tactile Algebra Tiles are colorful, magnetic tiles that can be manipulated on a steel board to assist students in solving math problems.
- Geometro Sets provide hands-on experiences with manipulatives that aid in teaching 3-D geometry.
- The Braille-Large Print Protractor has a pivoting wand that allows for tactile exploration of angles.
- Flexible Rulers (18-Inchand 30-Centimeter) assist with tactual and visual measurement of flat or curved surfaces.
- We have a wide selection of bold line and embossed graph sheets to meet the learning needs of all students.
- Use a water-based marker on Quick-Draw Paper to create instant tactile graphics.
- The Draftsman Tactile Drawing Board helps users create simple graphics and demonstrate math concepts and tasks.
- Use TactileDoodle and quickly generate tactile, raised-line graphics to convey a variety of concepts within the classroom or at home. Perfect for younger students!
- Use the Graphic Aid for Mathematics to construct geometric and other figures and graphs related to arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.
- Create tactile lines on graphs with Graphic Art Tape.
- Our PixBlaster embosser easily produces double-sided interpoint braille with smooth, rounded dots for improved readability along with industry-leading, high-quality tactile graphics with seven variable dot heights for color representation. Connect to Wi-Fi to translate and emboss documents on the fly from your computer or mobile device using the included PIXie box.
- Practice2Master Fractions makes learning about fractions fun with an unlimited number of problems to practice. Download for iOS.
- Practice2Master Abacus helps address difficulties that students, parents, and teachers often encounters when learning to use an abacus by making abacus learning an interactive experience. This app can be used as a supplement to classroom instruction or as a self-learning tool.
- SlapStack Math (iOS) is a fully accessible action and memory game that uses math flashcards instead of playing cards. Collect points by winning the most cards!
- AnimalWatch VI Suite for iPad supports middle school students in building their math word problem solving skills while also teaching about endangered species.
- AnimalWatch VI Building Graphics Literacy iPad app and related tactile graphics from Lighthouse San Francisco teach middle school students how to read and interpret different types of graphs.
- Draw2Measure is an app that allows you to use a protractor on your iOS device.
- Math Flash can be played on your smart speaker or device to practice math operations in a fun and interactive way! Available on Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Aligned with the NCTM standards, the KeyMath™3 diagnostic assessment measures essential mathematical concepts and skills, including basic concepts, operations, and applications, for students in grades Pre-K through ninth.
- Nemeth Math Tutorials and UEB Math Tutorials make learning math fun and easy! Learn more about these tutorials.
- Math Symbol Reference Booklets – Large Print and Braille versions are a resource for students and teachers who are using Nemeth and UEB math.
- The plastic, tactile Feel ‘n Peel Stickers: Nemeth Braille-Print Numbers and UEB Braille/Print Numbers and Nemeth Basic Math Symbols and UEB Basic Math Symbols are intended for the creation and adaptation of science and math-related materials.
- The Tactile Graphics Image Library (TGIL) has images of basic shapes, including squares, circles, and more, that can be used in mathematical drawings or problems. One example is a few 3D models showing cones and cubes being slashed by a 2D plane. Students can touch and feel the resulted intersections. Teachers can also print out 3D models using pre-designed 3D printing files included in the TGIL.
Discover more math products and resources on aph.org.
Share this article.
An Interview with Nabiha Mujahid, TVI and APH Scholar Math is a challenging subject to teach and learn. Those difficulties...
Are you looking for an easy-to-understand hands-on way to explain algebra concepts to your child? Tactile Algebra Tiles can help!...